Monday, September 17, 2007

Virtues

Steve and I struggled today when we sent Kane to school. He was a bit apprehensive which is very out of character for him. Some of this can be attributed to the fact that it is Monday and we had such a great weekend together. However, Kane was concerned about people being nice to him or in this case people NOT being nice to him. He wondered why the fourth and sixth grader who rode the bus didn't want to play with him. He thinks about these things all the time. It is such a test for me as a parent. How do you explain such things as not nice people and why they act that way? The innocence of youth is such a sacred stepping ground. I want to continue to protect Kane from the not so virtuous parts of life. However, that is no longer an option. It is up to Steve and I to teach him now how to deal with these disappointing parts of life along with giving him the tools to continue to be the loving and kind person he is. Being a parent is so heartbreaking at times. This instance just makes me appreciate how much my parents have done for me in my life to instill a sense of values. I am grateful, and resolve to follow in their footsteps. On a final note, this experience with Kane has only strengthened my own sense of virtues and how important it is for me to live my life as the best example of those virtues.

1 comment:

Megan's Munchkins said...

You two are FABULOUS parents...we all should take a few pointers from you. Unfortunately there are those people in the world who aren't nice and they grow up into not so nice adults. As long as you maintain your integrity, sweetness, compassion and strong morals, Kane (and Cole) will be just fine!!! Kane is such a sweet boy, I totally understand his confusion!! Aunt Mo